Pages

Thursday 13 March 2014

Hillarys Blinds Country Crafts Competition Entry

 Hillarys Blinds Country Crafts Competition Entry

I've been busy this week squeezing my creative juices thanks to Hillarys Blinds Country Crafts Competition.
As you can see from the link they have offered bloggers a 100cm square piece of fabric to make into anything they fancy, I wasn't sure if I personally would be able to make anything of interest to anybody but I was desperate to have a go. 
Hillarys have generously offered up a £1000 prize for their favourite use of fabric, to win the grand prize would be amazing but regardless of that I already feel like a winner just for taking part as the free fabric Hillarys sent made me not just one but TWO gorgeous items.
I've decided to give one each to my Mum and Mother-in-law for Mothers Day at the end of this month, although I didn't spend a lot of money on them, I spent a lot of time and effort, which I think is nicer plus they now have an a one off, exclusively made for them, item each.

The first hurdle I had to overcome however was choosing my fabric, I had the choice of four different patterns from their gorgeous new Country Retreat Range and I couldn't make my mind up! My personal favourite is Bird Parade Teal, I absolutely love this but being a real amateur I felt I wouldn't know where to start with it so decided to go for something a bit more patterned hoping that it might hide any mistakes a novice like me may make.
In the end I chose the Calluna Amethyst and I'm sure I made the right choice, here's how my 100cm square piece of fabric looks now..........



I just cannot believe from that piece of lovely fabric came two handbags and I'm even more surprised at the fact that I made them!
I will try and explain how I achieved them but I never had a pattern and I probably wouldn't be able to follow one if I did so I admit I made it up as I went along. 
This took a lot, and I MEAN A LOT of sewing then unpicking, more so on the first bag as once I'd figured that one out the second was just following my guides, memory and measuring against the one I'd just made.
I did write down my measurements as I went along which I will include so if you wanted to recreate something like this then you have the basics to adapt on.
I definitely think these could be personalised to suit the person making it quite easily.


So here's what I did and what I used, I will give instructions for one bag only as I'm trying not to confuse you or myself: 

  1. A 100cm deep by 50 cm wide Rectangular piece of fabric ( kindly donated by Hillarys)
  2. A second piece of  fabric again 100cm deep by 50 cm wide (for my lining)
  3. A 23cm deep by 36cm wide rectangle of fabric X 2 (for the top panels)
  4. A 25cm zip
  5. 4 metal rings
  6. 1 small swivel clip ( like you sometimes find on a keyring)
  7. a small square of fabric (to make inside pocket and string to hang swivel clip on)
  8. Vilene H250 iron on interfacing
These are all the materials I used then secured all of them together using my sewing machine, pins and cotton.

Directions for the outside section of the bag

  • Firstly I took Hillarys fabric and folded it in half to make a square, keeping the fold at the bottom, cut across the square around 14cm down from the top. (see picture A)
  • Next unfold the fabric and make pleats in either side until you reach your desired opening length, I had a 25cm zip so made mine 30cm. (see picture B)
  • Next take one of your rectangles of fabric for the top band and cut in half, sew one either side around the pleated edge. (see pictures C and D)
  • Sew up the sides of the fabric on the wrong side then push it through, this is the outside of your bag.

                 

Directions for Straps and key holder
  •  Sew together  the short sides of the offcuts from the outside of the bag.
  • Cut them lengthways so you are left with 2 long thin straps.  
  • Iron on the vileda interfacing to the wrong side of the the straps. (see pictures E)
  • fold them in half tuck in the seams and iron flat then sew up one side. 
  • cut the ends off them and sew each one in a hoop around each of the four rings
  • sew the ends of the straps around each one of the four rings.
  • sew a thin tube in the same way as the straps but without using the interfacing and attach the swivel clip to the end.

                 

Directions for lining
  • fold the fabric in half to make a 50cm square.
  • keeping the fold at the bottom, draw around the finished bag leaving a little extra for seam then cut it out.
  • sew a pocket to the inside of the lining and sew the keyring clip to the top of the lining at the same side as the pocket, the refold the fabric so they are back inside. 
  • take the fabric your using for the top section, add your zip into it and cut in half. (see picture F)
  • sew the edge to the top edge on the lining on both sides so you will have a large tube sewn together with a zip at the top. (see picture G)
  • push the zip down into the bag and bin it flat then sew it to the lining around 5cm down from the edge so its stuck to the lining either side with a zip down the middle. This will also ensure the key clip is securely sewn in. (see picture H)
  • sew up either side of the lining. (see picture I)



To finish off push the lining inside the bag and pin it all the way around the top, measure in from the corners on each side and pin the handle loops in place between the bag and the lining. 
Sew all the way around the top, I went over each handle then backwards and forwards again to make sure they are securely fastened and voila, you have a new handbag. 

I repeated this method twice and used every last scrap of Hillarys calluna amethyst in making my two lovely bags, I found the fabric for my top panels in a box of scraps I have stashed away from when I decided I would try my hand at sewing but never actually got round to it. 
The two fabrics were fat quarters with the same pattern but in different colours, I had no idea what I would use these for before but I could see similar colours in the bright pattern of the calluna amethyst so I was in luck, I was unsure of the two heavy patterns together but kept it as a possibility. 
I then went shopping for bits for my bag and if by fate in the discount bin were two zips in the exact same colour as my scraps and they were the perfect length so it was decided, at 50p each how could I leave them there, I'm so happy I decided to use them because now they are sewn up I love the contrasting patterns.
I was going to add an accessory but felt it wasn't needed as the patterns alone are striking enough.


                 



I just want to thank Hillarys one last time for this competition, for allowing me to make our mums an extra special mothers day gift and really inspiring me to use my sewing machine, I've definitely caught the sewing bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment